Some events & things-to-do happening in and near Draycott-in-the-Moors, including Cresswell and Totmonslow and surrounding villages.
We’re sorry it’s not as comprehensive as it used to be, but the person who used to do it has left the area. So, to be sure that an event will appear on this page, organisers must submit events via the ‘Comments’ form at the bottom of this page or contact us by email.
(For recurring or regular events, see special section halfway down this page.)
We rarely know of late changes, so please check details before you travel.
For local eating out, click here or scroll to the bottom of this page.
A521 Roadworks on Draycott-Level dual carriageway continue until mid-March 2020
Beauty & Beast mini-panto at Great Wood Hall in Tean on Sun 5th Jan at 3pm
Open Meeting – to discuss ideas for the Blythe Colours Cresswell Factory 150th Anniversary Celebrations – at Blythe Bridge Library Centre on Monday 6th January between 6pm and 7pm.
Oak Tree Craft Group meets at Oak Tree Farm near Hilderstone once a month on Tuesdays from 7pm-9.30pm. All welcome
Chelsea Jade appears at The Roebuck in Forsbrook on Sat 25 Jan from 9pm
Draycott Brownie Group meets in term-time at the Draycott Church & Community Hall on Wednesdays, 6.45-.8.15pm. Fee: £2. All girls aged 7-10 welcome. Tel: 07563 282568
Singing For Fun Sessions at Draycott Church & Community Hall twice-monthly Wednesdays 10-11.30am from October to July – no need to read music, the main aim is to have fun. Open only to Cheadle U3A members
The Draycott Craft Club meets on the 2nd & 4th Tuesday evening of the month at the Draycott Church & Community Hall. Contact Pauline (01782 396190) for details.
Draycott Sports Centre fitness classes include:-
Circuits class for general fitness / Pilates / Cardio-tennis sessions (exercise in which tennis movements are done) / Zumba Fitness classes / cycle-spinning / ‘Walking’ Netball weekly-sessions. Non-members welcome
Tatsu Kai Dojo & Training Centre on Blythe Park Business estate provides classes in ju-jitsu, self-defence, tai-chi, yoga and more – for all ages
Circle Dance – dancing for mind, body and spirit – on the 3rd Saturday afternoon of the month from 2.30-4.30 at the Draycott Church & Community Hall. Contact 07930 435045. For more about what circle dance is – click here
The St Margaret’s Church Bellringers group practices most Monday evenings. New members welcome: contact the church wardens
The Moorlands Home Link (Blythe Bridge & District) Outreach Group meet every Wednesday, currently at St. Peter’s Church, Blythe Bridge. Older people are invited to come along for a chat, tea – and cake!
Creda Redhouse Angling Club (which runs the pool by the Bird In Hand in southern Cresswell)
Blythe Bridge Camera Club meets every Monday evening from September to April at Blythe Bridge Village Hall
Blythe Bridge & Forsbrook & Surrounding District History Society meets monthly on first Tuesday from April to November: the annual membership is £10 (plus £1 entry to a meeting). Non-members pay £2.50 a meeting.
The nearest nursery classes are at William Amory Primary School in Blythe Bridge (which also runs an after-school club and breakfast club), and The Acorns Nursery in Tean.
The Thursday Club takes place 1.30-3.30 at Blythe Bridge Village Hall – £1.50 for bingo sessions, tea and biscuits, in a relaxed atmosphere
Tean History Group meets monthly (01538 722153)
Many regular activities take place in the nearest townships to us – at Fulford Village Hall (including residents’ coffee morning on the 3rd Thursday of month), Blythe Bridge Village Hall, Blythe Bridge Library Centre, Hilderstone Village Hall and at Great Wood Hall Community Centre in Tean. Worth checking them out too.
+ + +
EATING OUT / FOOD & DRINK
For such a small district as ours, it’s amazing how much well-cooked food is on tap.
* Draycott Arms Pub – serving food six days a week, lunch & dinner, in its restaurant. Closed Mondays & Tues lunchtimes
* Izaak Walton Inn – closed currently
* The Gandhi Indian Restaurant South-Asian restaurant behind The Hunter pub in Cresswell
* Chandni Cottage Indian Restaurant in Uttoxeter Road
* Golden Keg on Uttoxeter Rd serving Indian & English. It also has a bar.
* The Greyhound in Saverley Green has specials most nights from 5pm-8pm: Tuesday is Grilled night, Thursday is Curry night, Friday is Chippy night.
* The Little House Lunch Box (8am-2pm) hot-food stall at Cresswell; will also have your cooked breakfast all ready for you if you phone ahead.
…and, just drink…
* Draycott Arms Pub – also has a public bar and open fire, just right for that quiet drink. Closed Mondays & Tues lunchtime
* The Hunter Pub in Cresswell – has an open fire too
* The at Draycott Sports Centre bar welcomes all. The club is open until 10.30pm on weekdays, to 4pm on Saturday, and to 9.30pm on Sunday
* Golden Keg on Uttoxeter Rd has a bar area, with real ale available
* Blythe Cricket Club runs a bar in its pavilion on Saturdays and Sundays during the cricket season, from early afternoon until well in the evening. Visitors are welcome, especially those who want to cheer on the team at the same time; you may be asked to sign the visitors’ book.
To have an event added to this page, just submit it in the COMMENT form below