Some events & things-to-do happening in and near Draycott-in-the-Moors, including Cresswell and Totmonslow and surrounding villages.
To add an event to this page, use the ‘Comments’ form at the bottom of this page.
We rarely know of late changes, so please check details before you travel.
The Ryan & Kieran Duo at The Roebuck in Forsbrook on Sat 13 January
Winter Ball with cabaret at the Quick Quick Slow Dance Studios in Cresswell on Saturday 20th January – dancing 8pm until 11.30pm. £10 a ticket
‘Changes’ (a mutual-support group for those feeling under mental strain in their daily lives) meets on Tuesday 23 Jan (and every Tuesday) 6pm-8pm at Blythe Bridge Centre
The Draycott & District ‘Neighbourhood Plan’ Forum takes place on Fri 26 Jan at 7.30pm at Draycott Church & Community Hall (in Church Lane). An open-to-all session to discuss how this community should progress toward getting its own neighbourhood plan
The film “Florence Foster Jenkins” is showing on Fri 26 Jan at Hilderstone Village Hall at 7pm (doors open at 6:30pm) – £7
A Tribute to Eric Morecambe – an evening with his daughter Gail – at Fulford Village Hall on Tuesday 30th Jan. The event includes dinner from 7pm
Farming & Rural Business Forum – an open-discussion on Thurs 1st February organised by Checkley Parish Council, who wish to create a local ‘Agricultural Diversity Policy’
Cher Tribute at The Roebuck in Forsbrook on Sat 17 February
Monthly Meet-the-Councillor ‘surgery-style’ session from 7.15-7.30pm on Monday 20 Feb at Draycott Church & Community Hall (in Church Lane). A chance for an informal chat with the chairman of the council
Sing Along with the U3A Ukulele Band on Saturday 3rd March at 7.30pm, at Cheadle Methodist Church. Raising money for Home Link. Tickets £5 (01538 755796)
Cheadle Arts Festival: Cre-8 Day (for crafters) takes place on Saturday 10th March
Kel Elliott & her Trio (jazz-pop outfit) appear on Sat 10 March at Blythe Bridge Library Centre
Cheadle Arts Festival: Jazz Night takes place on Saturday 10th March
Cheadle Arts Festival: Artists Showcase takes place on Saturday 17th March
The Mile Roses (contemporary folk music) appear on Wed 16 May at Blythe Bridge Library Centre
Rhythm n Blues Festival at The Roebuck in Forsbrook from Fri 25 May – Sun 27 May
+ + +
Regular or Recurring Events
Draycott Brownie Group meets in term-time at the Draycott Church & Community Hall on Wednesdays, 6.45-.8.15pm. Fee: £2. All girls aged 7-10 welcome. Tel: 07563 282568
The Draycott Craft Club meets on the 2nd & 4th Tuesday evening of the month at the Draycott Church & Community Hall. Contact Pauline (01782 396190) for details.
Draycott Sports Centre fitness classes include:-
Circuits class for general fitness / Pilates / Cardio-tennis sessions (Cardio-tennis is an exercise in which tennis movements are done) / Zumba Fitness classes / cycle-spinning /
Tatsu Kai Dojo & Training Centre on Blythe Park Business estate provides classes in ju-jitsu, self-defence, tai-chi, yoga and more – for all ages
Circle Dance – dancing for mind, body and spirit – on the 3rd Saturday afternoon of the month from 2.30-4.30 at the Draycott Church & Community Hall. Contact 07930 435045. For more about what circle dance is – click here
The St Margaret’s Church Bellringers group practices most Monday evenings. New members welcome: contact the church wardens
The Moorlands Home Link (Blythe Bridge & District) Outreach Group meet every Wednesday, currently at St. Peter’s Church, Blythe Bridge. Older people are invited to come along for a chat, tea – and cake!
Creda Redhouse Angling Club (which runs the pool by the Bird In Hand in southern Cresswell)
Blythe Bridge Camera Club meets every Monday evening from September to April at Blythe Bridge Village Hall
Blythe Bridge & Forsbrook & Surrounding District History Society meets monthly on first Tuesday from April to November: the annual membership is £10 (plus £1 entry to a meeting). Non-members pay £2.50 a meeting.
The nearest nursery classes are at William Amory Primary School in Blythe Bridge (which also runs an after-school club and breakfast club), and The Acorns Nursery in Tean.
The Thursday Club takes place 1.30-3.30 at Blythe Bridge Village Hall – £1.50 for bingo sessions, tea and biscuits, in a relaxed atmosphere
Tean History Group meets monthly (01538 722153)
Many regular activities take place in the nearest townships to us – at Fulford Village Hall (including residents’ coffee morning on the 3rd Thursday of month), Blythe Bridge Village Hall, Blythe Bridge Library Centre and at Great Wood Hall Community Centre in Tean. Worth checking them out too.
+ + +
EATING OUT / FOOD & DRINK
For such a small district as ours, it’s amazing how much well-cooked food is on tap.
* Draycott Arms Pub – serving food six days a week in its restaurant.
* Izaak Walton Inn – closed currently
* The Gandhi Indian Restaurant South-Asian restaurant behind The Hunter pub in Cresswell
* Chandni Cottage Indian Restaurant in Uttoxeter Road
* Golden Keg on Uttoxeter Rd serving Indian & English. It also has a bar.
* The Greyhound in Saverley Green has specials most nights from 5pm-8pm: Tuesday is Grilled night, Thursday is Curry night, Friday is Chippy night.
* The Little House Lunch Box (8am-2pm) hot-food stall at Cresswell will have your cooked breakfast all ready for you if you phone ahead.
* The Ship Pub at Teanford is open for food Monday 5-9, Tue-Fri 12-2 & 5-9, and Sat & Sun 12-9
…and, just drink…
* Draycott Arms Pub – has a public bar, just right for that quiet drink.
* The Hunter Pub in Cresswell – has an open fire too
* The Draycott Sports Centre bar welcomes all. The club is open until 10.30pm on weekdays, to 4pm on Saturday, and to 9.30pm on Sunday
* Golden Keg on Uttoxeter Rd also has a bar area, with real ale available
* Blythe Cricket Club runs a bar in its pavilion on Saturdays and Sundays during the cricket season, from early afternoon until well in the evening. Visitors are welcome, especially those who want to cheer on the team at the same time; you may be asked to sign the visitors’ book.
To have an event added to this page, just submit it in the COMMENT form below